This is a story from Europe on the news site sbs.com.au, which I found rather interesting. It seems that chronic drug uses or addicts can be paid in exchange for getting sterilised in Britain. A 38 year old man was the first person to undergo this procedure and was paid $AUD 322 for it. The man has been addicted to illegal substances since the age of 11 years old.
I dont know exactly how I feel about this story, but a part of me thinks that maybe its a step in the right direction. Drug users who are constantly addicted give birth to drug addicted babies and surely this is better that an irresponsible parent giving birth to a child who is only going to have to endure a very difficult life. However there is also the flip side in which addicts may just be undergoing such a procedure to recieve the cash bonus (much like the baby bonus we had here in Australia which led to a boom in young parents who were out for just the cash).
The story did not feature a photograph of the man since he wished to remain annonymous, and did not featue any additional media content.
Readers were able to join the discussion if they signed up, which I think is a bit unnecessary since it doesn't allow people who just wish to view what the community is saying about a particular story without necessarily participating in it.

No comments:
Post a Comment